Harwich demolishes Brewster, 13-2


The Harwich Mariners got back in the win column on the eve of the Fourth of July, making light work of the Brewster Whitecaps on the road by a score of 13-2. An eight-run fourth inning from the Harwich lineup effectively ended Brewster’s chances Wednesday night.

Tied at 2-2 going into the fourth inning, the Mariners and Whitecaps had just exited the only scoreless inning of the game up to that point when the floodgates opened for the Harwich offense.

Cam Maldonado and Ryan Weingartner walked to start the inning, a common theme for the Brewster pitching staff, which walked 10 batters on the evening. Maldonado then got a good jump from second base on the first pitch of the next at-bat that allowed him to take third base while Weingartner made it to second on the double steal.

And that’s when the offense began to pour out for the Mariners, as Bristol Carter ripped a single to center field on the pitch after the double steal, which in turn allowed both Maldonado and Weingartner to score.

Harwich wasn’t done just yet, however, as Henry Godbout stroked a ground-rule double and Michael Anderson walked to load the bases, still with no outs in the inning.

This is when Brewster turned to the bullpen once again, bringing in Kellan Oakes, who got the first out of the inning, forcing Jake Ogden to pop out.

But Oakes' success was short-lived, as next up was Cade Kurland, who hit a single to left field which drove in Carter and Godbout. Macon Winslow then came up to the plate and singled, advancing Anderson and Kurland 90 feet.

Now still with one out, Tommy Barth delivered the knockout blow for Harwich, crushing his first home run of the year for a grand slam that made the score 10-2.

“He has a simple swing, his BP has an approach, he sticks with it,” Harwich manager Steve Englert said. “Those line drives during BP turn into bombs during games. Good for him, happy for him, he’s a good kid and he plays extremely hard. You know what you’re getting out of him every time you put him in the lineup.”

It was as complete of a performance from the Harwich lineup as anyone could have asked for. Six of the nine batters in the lineup recorded at least two hits and the only player without a hit, Weingartner, had three walks.

Not to be overshadowed, the Mariner pitching staff had a strong day as well. After allowing two runs in the first inning, Blake Morningstar settled in for the next two innings and hung up two goose eggs in the run column. He struck out six batters in his three innings of work.

Colton Shaw impressed once again in relief, pitching 3 1/3 innings of shutout baseball to close the game out early. He picked up the save when the game ended in the seventh inning.

“He comes in and he pounds the strike zone, he fills it up, moves it in and out and does a good job,” Englert said of Shaw.

The Mariners are back in action Thursday on the Fourth of July at Whitehouse Field to take on the Whitecaps once again. First pitch is at 5 p.m.